Dilemma in the decision on achalasia treatment
Botox – Dilatation – Heller Myotomy – POEM?
What is right for me?
Highly complex questions and issues arise in this situation:
· Some achalasia patients still experience a sense of unease after consulting their doctor.
· What is the balance between the expected improvements and the risks?
· Which studies are relevant for me? Studies on this topic have been conducted under highly varied conditions and can be interpreted in different ways.
· Operations are irreversible treatments and are decisive cuts in life
· How can I orientate myself?
· Which doctor do I have sufficient confidence in?
· What interests could play a role?
· The proximity of the hospital and its treatment options?
· What long-term effects can be expected?
The route to a decision
· Clear diagnosis
· Applying specific personal condition as a basis
· Detailed patient briefing with the doctor
· Addressing personal fears and concerns
· Increasing knowledge regarding treatments
· Informing yourself about the care landscape
· Obtaining a second opinion
· Contacting the health insurer
· Requesting comparative statements from Achalasie-Selbsthilfe
· Finally: Trusting your own gut instinct